The Craft In Me

A blog devoted to all my crafty endeavors.

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Wooden Stars

Copper and tin stars have long been on my radar and I have wanted to get on the band wagon for some time now. Now that I have my own house I totally have reason to go for it.

It's an intention to find a real one to accompany this wooden one but when I saw this wooden star hanging up in Micheal's at a 3.99 price tag, I couldn't resist. I had my star plus I could put my own creative spin on it at the same time.


The copper stars are really my favorite but since it would be placed in the living room, it would not really complement the color; which is kind of a caramely suede color. So I thought a faux tin patina wood fit best.


First I had to fill in the hole with wood filler.





Then gave it a white primer base.





I wanted a black undertone, so I then sponged on black acrylic paint.




After glazing with silver metallic paint, I lined the edges and corners with black for highlights and to give it depth.




Painting was easy and fun.





I hung it up next to the front door.












I had so much fun with this star I decided to run out and get another to hang in the bathroom.




My bathroom is a pale yellow with black and white tile so a black star would accent perfectly.



I'm not sure if it's noticeable in the picture but I wanted a rough texture so I simple added sand to the black paint.




Then I remembered a small wire cage I picked up at the thrift store a few months ago. I put it away because I knew it would go well in the bathroom after I moved into the house. It was only a dollar, and all it needed was just a coat of paint. Black of course to complement the rest of the decor.

















Little by little, my house becomes a home. :)


Linking to these PARTIES...

Photobucket  http://www.thethriftyhome.com
NightOwlCrafting

Keeping It Simple

BWS tips button






Today's Creative Blog handmade projects



4 comments:

  1. Great find! I love stars too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did to your star and that wire cage is to cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! The black cage is perfect on that wall, too. Bet you could do the rust paint on one too!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so a star addict! Lots of great ideas here. Glad to have found your blog, happy to be a new follower. I invite you to link up all your creativity to my blog bash K.I.S.S. every Sunday. :)

    http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)