The Craft In Me

A blog devoted to all my crafty endeavors.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Drab to Fab Desk Makeover


I’m bursting with excitement over the desk transformation I did for my 9 year old daughter!

We have had this desk for almost 5 years now. It was purchased from a garage sale at a steal for $15.

I couldn’t wait to give it a makeover but we were living in apartments so I knew I couldn’t give it the proper attention it needed.

Well the time has come, we absolutely love our new home and pictures of my daughter’s room are soon on the way.

So, here is the before. A plain and simple desk but with good structure and storage, it just needed a little love.

BEFORE:



I have always admired the drawer pulls detail. I even thought they were one piece until I disassembled them and found it was composed of two pieces. Although I did not end up using them here, I am definitely saving them for a rainy day.




Oh, and the chopped up trim, I never cared too much for the style.

So, I just took a hammer to it and it was gone.


The process took about 2 days. First the sanding, washing, and yes of course primer was must in this case.



AFTER:


I love absolutely love it!

I used paint that was left over from the trim in the house as the base color.

The blue, green and purple are basic acrylic craft paint.


My daughter decided on the stencil and she picked out the drawer pulls too.


After it was dry, I gave the blue drawers, green top and purple cubbies a good coat of clear glossy spray sealer.

Now it just needs the perfect chair to make it complete!


Linking to...

UndertheTableandDreaming

A Little Knick Knack

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


NightOwlCrafting Photobucket

Whimsy Couture

CreativeShareWednesdays

 http://www.thethriftyhome.com Beyond The Picket Fence


The DIY Show Off Making

17 comments:

  1. Very cute! I was just in the process of thinking of ideas for my little one's dresser. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great, great choice of fun bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors you chose are so fun. I really like the stencil detail around the drawer pulls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the stencil on the drawers!

    check out the giveaways on my blog tees and hair accessories for little kids.
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/p/giveaways.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful transformation. It looks very Pottery Barn Kids now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The desk turned out great! I LOVE the colors! Just came across your blog and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful makeover, I love it, so gorgeous:-)
    Have a great weekend, hugs Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  8. FUN! So bright and cheery. Perfect for a little girls room. I love the stencil detail as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun dresser - I can see how a young girl would love it ... great job on all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How adorable and colorful! I'll bet she loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing! Love the colors.. so inspiring for a desk! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/02/pink-hippo-party-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a transformation. Love the patterns and the colors you used! It makes the desk lively and fun. Bet your daughter adores it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)