The Craft In Me

A blog devoted to all my crafty endeavors.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Clock Makeover

Clock Makeover

This clock is about ten years old and I have always loved its cute shape. I remember getting it on clearance at Wal-Mart for $10.


It was getting a little dingy and scuffed up so naturally I wanted to give it a nice fresh coat.

So I lightly sanded first.




And then I decided to paint it a nice clean matt black.




And here’s how that turned out.




Blahhh!

And this was only after a measly one coat, but I could tell that a couple more coats of paint wasn’t going to help this mess.

I mean, it doesn’t look terrible, it just looks so serious. And the point of a makeover is to make something look fresh and nearly new, a sort of upgrade, if you will.

The only thing this black paint did was take it from ok to “ehhh...”

Where’s the wow factor? There wasn’t one.

So.... Makeover #2.

Since I decided to give it a much uplifting color, I had to give it a bright undercoat first.



After its white undercoat, I painted the clock a regular matt red which I regret not getting a picture for the before.


I knew that it needed a nice glossy finish but I didn't want to use a spray gloss because that would mean I'd have to mess with taping up the glass face.


I know, pretty lazy, huh?


So, what I ended up using was a wood stain/polyurethane. Using a sponge brush I brushed the wood stain on. Other than the few drips, I must say I am pleased with the results. I like how the stain gathers in the creases, it really adds to the whole dimension and texture thing going on.

This paint process was similar to the recent lamp project I did, here. The varnish will be tacky for a few days but will then be dry and remain glossy.


And now for the wow…










Much better!


Linking to...


The Girl Creative Keeping It Simple

The DIY Show Off BWS tips button



Making

Sumo Sweet Stuff Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties


Photobucket

BWS tips button




NightOwlCrafting

Get your craft on Thurs.




A Little Knick Knack

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


15 comments:

  1. That is a "wow." I have a similar clock and I've been wondering what color to paint it. Lucky for me, red works in my home, too. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finish, awesome job sprucing up the clock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice! That's just absolutely perfect! Love the cheery red. Makes anyone happy to get up at 6 AM. ;-)

    Visiting from The Girl Creative Party Blog Hop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great makeover! The red is beautiful, way to dress up an everyday item. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE clocks! So, this project is right up my ally!

    ~Lori @ Paisley Passions

    Join myThursday Linky Party
    Come enter myGiveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great transformation! Love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this! I just realized I have a really similar one that's been sitting in my basement for years! I'm totally going to paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it turned out terrific!! Way to go! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I'd also like to invite you to link up at my weekly Fabulous Friday Finds party! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the red! It's just perfect, and with the white brushed over the black underneath it makes it look even better. I love the glossiness of it too! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband brought home a 1 1/2 tall clock almost the same style as yours. A friend of his was going to throw it away, but, brought it to work instead to see if anybody wanted it. I have trained my husband well to not say no to freebies. The clock is in good condition but the stain on it is a little drab. I will be painting it soon, and I like the idea of the red on your clock. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)