The Craft In Me

A blog devoted to all my crafty endeavors.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Terracotta Transformation





Here we have your basic terracotta pot.




I needed a larger pot for a plant I have in my office.


Not sure of how the transformation was going to take place but I knew that I couldn't get enough of the technique I used a few posts earlier on my red clock.

First, I brushed on a few coats of white craft paint as a base and primer.







I knew my fleur de lis stamp would be a perfect accent for this project.







Applying the black and silver paint to the stamp, I let the imperfections be to add some character.






I then painted the pot using about 3 different shades of red over the first stamped image.


And after that dried, I stamped over the image a second time.
See how flat the paint is before brushing on polyurethane.





And of course the polyurethane is what gives it that beautiful dimension.


It takes about 24 hours or more to let the polyurethane dry.





The polyurethane brings out the red brush strokes and gives a nice shine!







Linking to...

Get Your Craft On Tuesday

BWS tips button




NightOwlCrafting

 http://www.thethriftyhome.com Get your craft on Thurs.


Beyond The Picket Fence

Photobucket


A Little Knick Knack


MuralMaker and More

10 comments:

  1. That turned out fantastic!! I think I will look at all the ugly planters I see at Goodwill differently now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came out really pretty .You're more than
    welcome to post a link on my blog. I think my follower would like this,too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always amazing how poly brings out such depth. Love the red - and the fleur de lis!

    Would love for you to stop by Sunday and link up to Passion for Paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There! I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop! Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    Love the pot

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have that same stamp! :) cute!

    new follower from sassy sites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for linking up with me !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great transformation of a little ole' terracotta pot!! AND what a world of difference the polyurethane made!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Fondly,
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love it. The stamp is great and the color turned out so well! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for linking up to Passion for Paint! Please stop by again some weekend!

    I also started http://FengShuiSavvy.blogspot.com this week. Would love for you to visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)