The Craft In Me

A blog devoted to all my crafty endeavors.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tornado Season in Oklahoma

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A
Oklahoma City! May 16, 2010

Golf ball sized hail! I must say in all my years living here in Oklahoma, I have never been through a storm this severe. It wasn't a tornado, thank the Lord, but extremely high winds, golf ball sized hail, and just plain scary!


Taking a couple of videos, I know I should NOT have been that close to a window – that hail is nothing to play with – just take a look at my car.







The weather men always tell you to stay away from windows and to take cover in the center of your house. As my daughter took cover in the bathroom I kept running back and forth from her to the window. It lasted all of about 10 minutes and then it's over.

Now I know that this was minor compared to a tornado, this is just my first hand experience.


The storm came out of nowhere. My daughter and I had stayed in all day and I barely looked out the windows. The TV was off for the most part, we were just enjoying our lazy Sunday afternoon. Mid afternoon I noticed it was getting a little dark outside, peeking out the window I noticed the clouds making suspicious formations – but living in Oklahoma during Tornado season, I didn't think much of it.


Opening the front door to get a better view I noticed a squirrel just a few feet away digging like crazy. I yelled to my daughter to come see him digging away and thought it was odd that he wasn't that scared of us being so near him, well now I know why. His little animal instincts were probably telling him to find one last nut and to soon take cover.



That's when we turn the TV on to see if a storm was near. Well yes it was, the forecaster said that roofs had caved in just a few miles away. Within in no longer than 10 minutes the hail began.


After the storm:


My back window COMPLETELY busted!


Glass everywhere

Glass, hail and leaves


Dents and dings

Hail reached all the way to the front

Cracked front windshield

Hail and leaves

Leaves COVER the ground
This was definitely an experience, and alot of other cars were damaged. It's a pain having to clean up everything but in all I am very thankful my daughter and I stayed safe!

3 comments:

  1. OMGoodness! I'm so glad you all are safe too! IT sure has been crazy EVERYWHERE. I was just stopping by to thank YOU for stopping by my blog and leaving me such a nice comment on my post. YOu really did make my day! Stay safe. We will be thinking about you and all the others who are going through all this madness. Thanks again.

    Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're safe, it looks like a scary experience! Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm passing on the Versatile Blog award to you. You can check it out here http://brittneysbudgetcrafts.blogspot.com/
    Have a good (and safe ;)) day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!! Looks like you got hit hard!! It just missed us, Thank goodness! I found you through Brittney's Budget Crafts - we both got an award from her ;) I discovered you're from OK and had to follow you. Nice to meet a fellow OK crafty blog friend! Great projects too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! :)